Letters to the Editor

Hello, 

I really enjoyed the summer 2017 issue of Medicine at Michigan, but after reading the delightful article by Katie Goldrath about her extended medical family, I was disappointed to find no mention of my M.D. 1978 classmate, Frederick Novy III, a California dermatologist, in the article about Frederick Novy. Every time I have come across a culture showing clostridium novyi in my pediatric or dermatology careers, I remember "my" Fred, whose grandfather provided the eponym. 

I have purchased the book mentioned in the article, Frederick Novy and the Development of Bacteriology in Medicine, by Dr. Powel H. Kazanjian, and plan to donate it to the University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine, where I am a faculty member, after I have enjoyed it. 

Susan Boiko (M.D. 1978) 
Associate Professor of Dermatology, UC San Diego

Greetings, 

Thank you to Medicine at Michigan for highlighting Doctors of Tomorrow, a medical pipeline program committed to inspiring and preparing high school students from underrepresented communities to successfully pursue careers in health care, and increase diversity among medical professionals. Through a longitudinal program of clinical immersion, academic preparation, and leadership development, coupled with continued engagement and mentorship throughout high school and beyond, we strive to develop the necessary foundation for students to succeed academically and professionally. The program creates an educational experience in which all participants are actively engaged in developing and promoting cultural awareness as we strive to reduce bias in the medical field and foster our students as agents of change in their communities. 

Doctors of Tomorrow would not be possible without the support of the Cass Technical High School faculty and staff. The administration, including Ms. Phillips and Ms. Snow, along with the staff, including Ms. Chillis and Mr. Ross, have committed countless hours to ensure that every student finds success. On more than one occasion, Ms. Chillis has personally picked up a Doctors of Tomorrow student from their house when they could not find transportation to an event. Every day, the faculty of Cass Technical High School go above and beyond their necessary duties as educators. We are very thankful for their support and dedication. We look forward to many more years of collaboration between the University of Michigan Medical School and Cass Technical High School. 

Sincerely, 
Jonathan F. Finks, M.D. 
Associate Professor of Surgery 
Co-Director, Michigan Bariatric Surgery Collaborative 
Founder, Doctors of Tomorrow 

Kylie Steenbergh (M.D. 2018) 
Former Mentor, Doctors of Tomorrow 

More Articles About: readers History Doctors of Tomorrow Education
Featured News & Stories black and white photo from the 1800s of medical students examining a skeleton
Medicine at Michigan
Such horrible business
Men constructing a church in Cambridge Junction, Michigan found an unholy mess — smears of blood, tufts of hair, signs of heavy objects being dragged across the floor. In the graveyard in back, they found heaps of fresh earth next to empty graves. This is the story of the struggle to get bodies in the early days of anatomy classes.
Minding Memory with a microphone and a shadow of a microphone on a blue background
Minding Memory
Racial Disparities in Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementias
In this episode of Minding Memory, Matt & Donovan speak with Dr. Lisa Barnes, the Alla V. and Solomon Jesmer Professor of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, Department of Neurological Sciences and Associate-Director of the Rush Alzheimer’s Disease Center at Rush University. Dr. Barnes talks with Matt & Donovan about racial disparities in Alzheimer’s disease dementia and several obstacles that have impeded our understanding of race and dementia.
three pharmacists smiling
Health Lab
An innovative pharmacy service for pain management
An innovative service at Michigan Medicine offers pain management support for patients and care teams
man in scrubs sitting with scrub cap with headset on in clinical setting
Health Lab
Medical students use virtual reality to improve diabetes
A physician invents a creative approach for medical students in diabetic care.
graphic drawing of colonoscopy scan with large intestine vials patient on bed doctor
Health Lab
Investment in free follow up colonoscopies will pay off
Free colonoscopies for people whose at-home stool tests (such as Cologuard and FIT) turn up signs of potential cancer are now covered by insurance, and a study shows this will save money.
Health Lab
How bedside musicians helped one family cope with tragedy
How the gifts of art and beside music and art programs helped one family cope with tragedy