Letters to the Editor

Greetings! 

The article in the winter 2017 Medicine at Michigan intrigued me ["Let's Talk About the Pelvic Floor"]. I honestly believe that more women than you realize are talking about this — but to each other, not to their doctors, unfortunately. 

At age 28 and age 30, I had two natural childbirths, with the second one resulting in extensive tearing. I experienced a severely prolapsed uterus in my mid-40s, which was followed by a full hysterectomy and cystocele and rectocele repair in 2000. If I had known before the surgery what I experienced six months after the surgery (and ever since then), I never would have agreed to the surgery. My urinary incontinence issues prior to surgery were minimal and increased significantly afterwards. Let's just say that I sincerely hope treatment is better than it was 17 years ago — but based on what I was reading in the article, I'm not 100 percent convinced that is the case. 

Now, as I approach 70 years of age, my life revolves around "bathroom issues" — and I have to say it gets really, really old! However, I really think there's also a genetic component to these issues since my maternal grandmother, mother and sister had similar issues, and my older daughter also is in the early stages of the same problems. 

Please continue your research; I hope that other women have more positive experiences trying to ameliorate these conditions better than I. And thank you for bringing the issue "out in the open." Let's just hope that more women speak up — and not just to each other, but to their doctors as well. 

Reader from Virginia

Dear Editors: 

Let me tell you a sort of "It's a Small World" story. When I saw the summer 2015 issue, I was surprised to see Dr. Paul Cederna's work, because some 40 years ago I was engaged in similar work to develop electric arms for children with thalidomide embryopathy, in particular kids with deficient or short arms. For them, I established a research group to develop electric arms in collaboration with the engineering department of Tokyo University. Mechanically, we came up with elaborate arms with three degrees of freedom (three different motors), but we met considerable difficulty controlling them simultaneously. Unfortunately, the project met a severe financial difficulty and had to be discontinued. 

I found a kind of hope reading the article in the Medicine at Michigan issue dealing with body-machine interface by Dr. Cederna. I sent the article to the president of the Japanese Society for Surgery of the Hand (JSSH), Prof. Akimasa Hirata of the Nagoya Institute of Technology, who has been interested in similar projects. He got in touch with Dr. Cederna and invited him to the 60th JSSH annual congress held in April 2017 in Nagoya and asked me to chair the session. 

I am a retired professor of orthopaedic and hand surgery in Tokyo, aged 85 years, past-president of the 25th JSSH and past-president of IFSSH (International Federation of Societies for Surgery of the Hand — what a tongue-biting name!). What I should like to tell you is this: Medicine at Michigan created this old and new U-M union. Exciting, isn't it? It is certainly a small-world story. 

Thank you again. 

Yasuo Yamauchi, M.D. (Residency 1959) 
Professor Emeritus, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery 
Juntendo University, Tokyo, Japan 

More Articles About: readers pelvic floor disorders prolapse prosthetics Innovation Japan
Featured News & Stories mother baby helmet head shape
Health Lab
Study shows baby helmets yield high success rate
Research from the University of Michigan Orthotics and Prosthetics Center looked at the effectiveness of the Michigan Cranial Reshaping Helmet and what age it was best to prescribe them at.
Illustration with mint green background depicting a male doctor in a white coat walking toward fantastical, oversized flowers. A shadow of a hand beckons him forward.
Medicine at Michigan
Big ideas. Big leaps forward.
Innovative researchers at Michigan Medicine are imagining a brighter future--one where we catch cancer before it metastasizes, where we diagnose bipolar disorder with a simple blood test, and several other possibilities for making our health, and our lives, better.
Baby sitting on chair smiling with purple background and props
Health Lab
Helping the most medically complex infants navigate care
For Lena Long, the Little Victors League has been ‘invaluable’ as her family works through managing her health
Sam Grewe wearing his Paralympic gold medal in high jump
Michigan Answers
Sam’s Michigan Answer: A medical school that sees him as a champion
Ten years after his cancer diagnosis, Sam won a gold medal. Now, after traveling around the globe through world championships and Olympic stadiums, he was ready for a new adventure: medical school at the University of Michigan.
Michael Asher's prosthetic leg with a black car with the license plate "I Lived" in the background
Michigan Answers
Michael’s Michigan Answer: A prosthetic leg built for speed
After losing half of his leg in a car accident in 2016, Michael was determined to get back to normal - and to get back to car racing.
Medicine at Michigan
$20M from the Maxine and Stuart Frankel Foundation
Gift will establish the Frankel Innovation Initiative to accelerate the development of life-saving therapies