Letters to the Editor

"I just want to say thank you for finding my story ["Mark of Success," fall 2016] unique enough to publish. I've been approached by faculty members and strangers alike, enabling me to expand my platform and educate people on the importance of diverse representation in medicine." 

Kristian Black (M.D. 2019)

"I was thrilled to see a picture and a feature ["Course Correction," fall 2016] about one of my mentors, Stuart Flynn. Stuart was my program director when I was a pathology resident at Yale. A charismatic, inspiring, fun-loving, fantastic teacher for medical students and residents, Stuart's teaching sessions were always boisterous, rife with Michigan stories. I arrived at Ann Arbor … last year as faculty and [am] leading a few initiatives for our medical students in the Global Health & Disparity track. One of them is a project in the Upper Peninsula with Michigan Technological University. Your article mentioned Stuart's past goal was serving people in the Upper Peninsula. Well, he is doing this through his former trainee — i.e., me. I got this covered for you, Stuart, while you carry on with your passion of leading medical students in Texas." 

Rajan Dewar, M.D., Ph.D. 
Associate professor of hematopathology and molecular genetic pathology; director, Hematology Laboratory 

More Articles About: Students moments mentors
Featured News & Stories
Medicine at Michigan
The Parallel Universe of Medical School
Can talking about failure reform the “toxic” culture of medical education?
Medicine at Michigan
Women & Medicine
News on opioids, heart transplants, autoimmune diseases, and more
Medicine at Michigan
Departures and Arrivals
Air Force pilot to M1
Medicine at Michigan
A Lesson in Compassion
A carillonist performs social justice pieces for med students
Medicine at Michigan
Wolverine Street Medicine
Med students treat homeless patients in Detroit